Italian Pot Roast
- 3-lb chuck roast
- 2 TBS canola oil
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 TBS tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 3 TBS cornstarch
- Season roast with pepper on all sides. Set Instant Pot to Sauté setting and let it get hot. Add the canola oil and brown the roast on all sides (this can be a little awkward but it can be done).
- Remove roast from IP and set aside. Add mushrooms and onions to the IP, stirring well so they can pick up any browned bits from the bottom of the IP. Return roast to IP. Top roast with onion soup mix, beef broth and tomato paste.
- Place lid on IP and switch to Manual mode for 70 minutes at high pressure. When cooking is complete, let it release naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release the pressure. Skim as much fat from the top as you feasibly can.
- Switch IP to Sauté mode Add the tomato paste and Italian seasoning. Mix cornstarch with 3 TBS of water and add to the IP, stirring well. Let simmer 5 to 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Shred beef to desired texture. Serve over hot egg noodles and garnish with parsley if you are feeling fancy.