- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into fairly uniform sticks
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbs. butter, divided
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 Tbs. bourbon or whiskey
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. chicken broth or water
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- Place a sheet pan in the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Once the oven reaches 450, remove the sheet pan from the oven and add the olive oil and 1 Tbs. of butter, stirring to combine. Add carrots, salt, and pepper, tossing to coat. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the carrots are baking, in a small saucepan, melt remaining 2 Tbs. of butter over medium-high heat. Add shallot and sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat (so you don't set yourself or your kitchen on fire), and add bourbon, honey, and chicken broth. Return the pan to the stove and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, or until syrupy.
- Drizzle syrup over carrots and return them to oven for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until they reach crisp-tender. Sprinkle with thyme before serving and watch the minds boggle.