- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (6 oz)tomato paste
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or lamb
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz)beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Mashed Potatoes (however you make them, just make enough to spread over the top of a 9x13 casserole)
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
- Add butter and oil to a large skillet on medium heat. Sauté onions, carrots, celery and garlic until tender for about 7 to 10 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Once the vegetables have softened and start to brown a little, add the tomato paste and mix evenly. Add the ground beef and cook until beef is no longer pink about 10 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef stock. Season again with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Mix in peas.
- Transfer mixture to an oven-proof baking dish and spread evenly. Place mashed potatoes on top of ground beef mixture and spread out evenly, then cover with cheese. Place the dish into the pre-heated oven and cook until cheese is melted and meat mixture is bubbling, about 20 minutes.