Hearty Tex-Mex Casserole
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 medium-size yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (8-ounce) jar picante sauce or salsa
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1 (1.4-ounce) envelope fajita seasoning
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
Drain chopped spinach well, pressing between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
Sauté squash, bell pepper, and onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, chicken, next 6 ingredients, and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x9-inch baking dish. At this point, I worried I screwed it up, because the mixture was VERY thick. However, as it cooked, it loosened up and the consistency was right on.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, and bake 5 more minutes.