My picky eaters are picky about everything, including their cookies…the freaks. But, even as they beg me for Happy Meals instead of nice, home-cooked dinners, they still think I am Super-Mom when I make their favorite cookies. These cookies are unusual, because they have an almost cake-like texture. When I’m asked to bring a snack to school, this is what the boys clamor for.
I like them, because they only require one bowl, and practically no work or measuring.
Yes, I am so lazy, sometimes even the thought of washing the extra measuring cup is enough to send me screaming from the kitchen.
We’ll call that Working Moms’ Schizophrenia.
Chocolate Cake Cookies
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (the real stuff, don’t even buy the imitation stuff…you’re better than that)
- 1 (18-ounce) box devil’s food cake mix
- Powdered sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla extract, beating until well-combined. Beat in the cake mix.
3) Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in powdered sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. The cookies will remain soft, and have a cake/brownie type of texture. Cool completely on wire racks.
Just avoid those guys with the butterfly nets.