School is out my friends, which of course means my kids are sick. Don’t ask me how they managed to catch a cold exactly 2 seconds after school was over, but they did. Between them coughing all night, and acting like yahoos all day, this week hasn’t exactly been the best start to summer vacation. I am pretty tired, more than a little loopy, and I am out of kids’ cough medicine. And did I mention that I woke up today with their cold? Yippy bleeping skippy.
However, I did get to try out a new recipe from Southern Living, which Husband loved. And you should really try it too…Because it was yummy, easier than it looks, and I definitely racked up some Mom points for cranking this out on a weeknight with two sick kids.
Chicken Cannelloni with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce
- 1 8-ounce package cannelloni or manicotti shells
- 4 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
- 2 8-ounce containers chive-and-onion cream cheese
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 2 7-ounce jars roasted red peppers drained
- 1 16-ounce jar Alfredo sauce
- 3 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Stir together chicken and next 6 ingredients.
- Cut pasta shells lengthwise through the other side. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture into each shell, gently pressing cut sides together. Place, cut sides down, in 2 lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dishes.
- To make Roasted Red Pepper sauce, combine Alfredo sauce, roasted red peppers and Parmesan cheese in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce evenly over shells. Bake, covered, at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired
Even the kids ate it. Wonder of wonders….