In my quest to make the Heathens more homemade snacks, (and thereby diminishing the power of that evil witch, Little Debbie), I’ve hit a road block or two. Mostly, we tend run out of goodies right at the worst possible time, like when I’d rather stab myself in the leg than trek the grocery store for the fourth time that week. That’s where these sugar cookies come in. They are quick, easy and made of ingredients I always have on hand. So, I still get the cool mom points from the boys, but I don’t have to go postal while trying to navigate the crowded grocery store with a less-than-chipper baby.
Super-Easy Sugar Cookies
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (use the good stuff, imitation is for sissies)
- Colored decorator sugar
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Gradually add in dry ingredients until well-combined.
3) Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, then roll half the balls in colored decorator sugar. Place balls sugar side up on baking sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until done. Try not to over-bake these. They’re better a little underdone than overdone.