I wish I had a better picture for these amaze-balls carrots, but I barely had a second to capture the last of them before they were gone. My picky eaters dove into these, and promptly declared that, from this day forward, this must be the official carrot recipe of our household.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into fairly uniform sticks
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbs. butter, divided
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 Tbs. bourbon or whiskey
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. chicken broth or water
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- Place a sheet pan in the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Once the oven reaches 450, remove the sheet pan from the oven and add the olive oil and 1 Tbs. of butter, stirring to combine. Add carrots, salt, and pepper, tossing to coat. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the carrots are baking, in a small saucepan, melt remaining 2 Tbs. of butter over medium-high heat. Add shallot and sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat (so you don’t set yourself or your kitchen on fire), and add bourbon, honey, and chicken broth. Return the pan to the stove and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, or until syrupy.
- Drizzle syrup over carrots and return them to oven for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until they reach crisp-tender. Sprinkle with thyme before serving and watch the minds boggle.