I made black-eyed peas in the Instant Pot for the traditional New Year celebration. It super easy, and much faster than the usual stovetop method. I did soak the peas in water several hours before cooking them because this little boogers absorb a lot of liquid. The end results were delicious perfection, and plenty to feed a crowd.
Black-Eyed Peas in the Instant Pot
- 4 TBS butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 pounds dried black-eyed peas, soaked for several hours
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 ham hock
- salt and pepper to taste (I’d start with a TBS of salt then add more later of needed)
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 TBS White vinegar
- Set the Instant Pot to the saute setting and let it get hot. Add the butter, and when melted, add the onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until soft (about 4-5 minutes). Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the peas, chicken broth, ham hock, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Switch the Instant Pot to manual, add the lid and check that the value is correctly positioned for sealing. Set time for 20 minutes on Manual mode. (Note–with this much stuff in the IP, it will take about 20 minutes to come to pressure).
- When the timer is up and the IP beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 20 minutes, then do a quick pressure release if the pin hasn’t dropped already.
- Remove IP lid and stir in vinegar. Check for seasonings and enjoy!