We had our family reunion last weekend, which is always such a fun and blessed time. We cooked, we laughed, we ate, we played games, and mostly, we continued the tradition of togetherness that my grandmother and her siblings created for us. It’s easy to get lost in the stress of the day-to-day, but when you come together with about 80 of your nearest and dearest, it’s a good reminder about remembering what’s important.
Anyway, I made a few dishes to contribute to the weekend, and this salad was a big hit. It’s a crisp, cool dish that is the perfect antidote to the hot summer days. It’s also an ideal contribution for potlucks. If you need a refreshing salad that is sure to help beat the heat, this is it!
Shoepeg Corn Salad
- 2 cans shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can English peas, drained (preferably Le Sueur brand)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 TBS water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine corn, peas, green onions, bell pepper, and celery, stirring gently to combine.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, water, oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and remove the mixture from heat as soon as it begins to boil. Let cool.
- Pour vinegar mixture over corn mixture, stirring to combine. Refrigerate at least 6 hours, better if overnight.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!