On a good day, I really have the best intentions when feeding my picky-eating brood. I’ve slowly introduced foods that are a little fresher and healthier, and though my guys fought me kicking and screaming, they have resigned themselves to the fact that we will eat more than meat, French fries, and pancakes.
Every once in a while, however, I still treat them to their favorite stick-to-your-ribs dishes. These items may be less than healthy, but since we only have them in moderation, I don’t feel too bad about serving them. After a few sleepless nights (a la Bean), it’s nice to cook up a little something that doesn’t garner me the “ahhhhh…Moommmmm” groan at dinnertime.
For example, these creamy, cheesy potatoes are caloric suicide, but they are also pretty dang tasty. In fact, I actually called them “I Don’t Give a Crap Potatoes” last week, because I was too tired to care that they weren’t necessarily the pinnacle of nutritious menu choices. I just wanted a happy family dinner, and a nap. And maybe some chocolate.
All things in moderation, right?
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bag (1lb, 10oz) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 small can French fried onions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 casserole with non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine sour cream, soups and cheese. Add potatoes, stirring gently to combine. Spread potato mixture into prepared casserole.
3. Bake potatoes uncovered for 45 minutes. Top potatoes with French fried onions, and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Make some (in moderation) for your peeps, and you’ll buy yourself some well deserved peace at the dinner table.